Skip to main content

Amarabad tiger sensus. Day 1-- Heating things up.

Day 0: Leaving Chennai to reach Srisailam.
Our train was at 10 30pm in Tambaram. I left home at 7 35 and picked Surya on the way. I had asked to him keep my bike during my absence. Collected my towel from Praveen anna hours in Pallikaranai and the next stop was Fortitude fitness studio, Medavakkam. I wanted to visit this gym since this new year--the day they opened this gym. 2 reasons to do that: one, it is founded by my beloved senior, sister Anusha ka(more on her inspirational story later on a separate post.); Two, I wanted to give her The Running Soul book that I have been telling her for like 8 months now. Finally I found the time to do both. Me and Surya were​ amazed by features of the Gym, then like always it was fun talking with her until I realised it was getting late for the train. We then found a very nice  sandwich shop under the Tambaram bridge--MCC side--which will see us again more often. Then as Surya bid me good bye in the station, Shubha called to inform that she had reached with Shiva.
We three met at the platform and like was always do discussing the next plans. Shiva left as the train left.
Day 1: Heating things up!!
It was very difficult to sleep that night as it was very sultry and scissor heat(!) of Chennai. Got very little sleep, and I snoozed the alarm upto 4 50 from 4 20. Shubha was dead asleep, she had just fallen asleep after struggling with the heat. The train was supposed to arrive at Ongole at 5 05, but we saw the platform as soon as I woke her up. Lucky us, we did not miss the station. Got refreshed at the station, and took the bus to Srisailam at 6 15. Got another round of sleep in the bus before waking up to the beautiful roads amidst the mountains of Srisailam.  Lovely landscapes as I wished Srisailam was at least little far.
Reached Srisailam at 12Pm. And just before the bus stop I got a glimpse of  the Tirisul family restaurant and that was enough for my instinct to take me there for lunch. We both took a auto to go to the restaurant. My instinct was right again! Extra ordinary food! Curd rice, every item in the meals was just mind blowing, I would have not felt bad if the survey was cancelled and we had to leave back to Chennai, at least I had my  Andhra meal of my life time!
The bus journey to munnanur checkpost from Srisailam was even more fantastic with the views. The majestic dam and the enormous hydro-electric project were just good enough to come to this place just to see them. I then managed to get good rapport with driver and took the seat--used only by the driver to sleep--behind him. He was like why waste your time in the forests sir, you can go to the zoo just 5kms from Hyderabad bus stop, you can see all different animals. He then started listing down what he saw in the zoo, infact he took his hands out of the steering to show how big a snake he saw, I had to interrupt, I asked him whether he saw any tiger in the forests. Looks like he was lucky 4 times in the 7 years he has been driving this route!!
By 3 45 We reached munnanur checkpost, we called Amarnath the field trip coordinator . we were strolling down to find a tea shop, just then two youngsters enquired whether we were with hyticos and they welcomed us as we gave the obvious answer. Thus Monish and Immanuel, our seniors in this survey, got introduced. We soon were joined by Amar, so the entire team had tea and left for our cottages. Yes, that was the entire team, as against our expectations to be at least 20ppl team. We came to know there were 24ppl and the others had left to other surveys as this was over but for few lines. So it was just another 4-5 days work left.
The cottage was like a park with great facilities and it was just too good for anther round of hard sleep. Shubha was busy with her applications until I woke up and took her to explore the area. The tea shops and hot spicy bhajjis, never felt like we were in a forest.
And as we returned we had separate conversation with Monish and Amar. Phew, how cool their lifestyles are and their motivation and wild experiences they shared with us was exciting and gave goosebumps. Will write about them later on a separate blog.
Then Amar took us to the Jeep to leave for our dedicated kitchen. Not more than 10 metres our Jeep broke down. So we set of at foot for 20mins. Dinner was simple, tasty, healthy chappathi, spinach and boiled eggs. The  foot journey gave us the opportunity to listen to Amar's adventures. The next day plan we heard from him is the Jeep gets repaired in the morning and in the after noon we complete a line near the river and camp/stay at the river's bed complete the other line next morning!
With that excitement as I hit the bed it was one amazing sleep!!
.......