Skip to main content

Leh Ladakh_15th-27thSep'17 ~Ch4: Sarchu to Leh

Day 4, 11 44hrs: We put the bike in the Jeep and I gave my bike to Ajish and decided to come in the jeep. Reasons: 1. I had not yet recovered from the mountain sickness and I still had 5 more days to ride 2. Pillion will slow the ride. 3. I will do the same route while coming back. 4. I can enjoy the views better sitting in front of the jeep.

We were alone, the roads were empty as if it was reserved only for us. Can you have a better opportunity? But the mountain sickness spoiled the drive. I was trying to capture the views, to see later, with as much my little energy could afford. I was promising myself that I should relish my return. It was barren no signs of anything green and no wildlife.
Until a herd of sheep-like herd caught my eye. I pointed out that to Amar, who was more curious to see than me. He stopped the Jeep, he said in many years of his trips he has never seen this but only heard about it and he had forgotten its name. It was too late when took the DSLR out.




Day 4, 14 36hrs: We stopped at a dhaba for lunch. Saw some bikers at last.
The dhaba lady confirmed what we saw was Bharal in Hindi and Nabo in Ladhaki, and she has never seen it in her life being a native of that place. Amar pointed out how lucky I was. Talking about luck and wildlife, I become sad, in my 13 years of wildlife enthusiasm and having traveled to many national parks and tiger reserves across India, not once I have seen the big cats. :( Except once for less than 2 secs a tiger in Tadoba when I was 13, which brought the wildlife interests in me.
After some rest we continued.
 
Trust me it was way more beautiful than it looks in the pics. Also, I missed the beauty of some villages which look completely green out of nowhere!! I only knew on my return that these villages existed as I was hibernating most of the time.
The discussions on spirituality, relationships, habits: smoking, drinking, marijuana with Amar was another highlight of the day. Who will get a chance to talk such things to a person who lives a completely different lifestyle, culture, landscape in another corner of the large country!

Day 4, 17 55hrs: tea-stop in Upshi. and in another 90 mins we reached our rooms in Leh. Leh, unlike what I imagined was a big city at such a high altitude!!

As we just left I heard a loud Tamil thara local song being played in a crowd. The Indian Army people were carrying a Ganesh idol procession and were dancing around the god with a Tamil Kuthu song!! I don't remember the song but it was not that famous in this part of India as well.

The plan for me to stay that night was with the team in the same hotel, per Amar's idea, as it will be difficult for us to coordinate the next day morning. Amar said he will get me a discount. After we checked in, the reception guy told me he has a room for me and it costs me 1500 but only for a night including the dinner and breakfast. I was like where is the discount?? He understood and explained that he was giving it to me for far less than half the price. I thought it's ok for a night, after all, I am getting free wifi. But I did not turn on my WhatsApp and Facebook. But I realized that it had got a lot of it in store than I could imagine. I mean, look at the rooomm! For a lone guy!

I will pay 1500 bucks just for that hot water bath! The surprises wasn't over yet--the healthy spicy dinner to my starving body!!

Day 5, 06 56hrs: That view I woke upto 😍😍!!

I checked MMT and found that my room cost a whopping 6k!! Earlier each of the tents we stayed cost 3k with dinner and breakfast, but I only paid 250 and 300 respectively!! What should I call myself? The luck was not over yet and surprises were still waiting for me. However, I had to find another room for that night, a quick research in web landed me in Raybo hostel, a dorm for 500bucks. But I wanted to check and book in person as I believed it will be cheaper without the MMT commission.

After the nutritious breakfast, I and Amar ventured to find the Raybo hostel. I was lucky again to find that close to our hotel. only that we had to jump streams and climb few walls. it was worth it!! I saw my bed in the dorm worth 400 bucks, I was in awe again!! It was all neat and very well furnished, and all my dormmates are foreign women. I thought it was going to be an interesting stay there.

So after I made reservations for that night, we left to the world's highest motorable road, Karthung La,....
.......