Skip to main content

Leh Ladakh_15th-27thSep'17 ~Ch5: Karthung La

Day 5, 11 44hrs: 
Reached the Karthung la check-post. We were let in after our permits were validated. New bikes in Leh with J&K registration were hired earlier today morning, as it is be noted that only J&K bikes and no rentals of other state bikes are allowed. 
The roads and views were no different to the earlier days, just that there was no variety and roads were good. And there were many foreign cyclists.
Day 5, 13 01hrs: Reached Karthung La! Army Cafe, 'Indian temple', Prayer-flag filled hilltop, gave a small town like feel. These foreigners, who cycled all the way, were carrying out the rituals i.e praying and tying the prayer flags at the top of the sacred hill, whereas us, let alone we could not climb to the top, we did not even know that existed!! 
After the photo sessions were done, time to dine in the army cafe; Maggie, snacks, and tea.
The cafe had a bit of the history and geography of the location the army have to bear, written on its walls. The admiration, proud, respects to Indian Army grew multi folds every day!!

Day 5, 15 00hrs: Time to descend. That's a school bus in the pic. 
It made me think, how privileged we, in cities, are; climate, network, connectivity infrastructure, and facilities not just for living, but for the kids, youths to learn and grow. But still they had the best life: Air, water, food! What else do you want?

Day 5, 16 44hrs: Reached Offbeat residency, time for me to check out and move to Raybo hostel.
We hit the markets at 6pm, after getting refreshed. The shopping was fun, so much to learn from the Kerala guys on negotiations. Never seen anybody bargain and buy like that!! I was only making mental notes what I can buy here, as I will be coming here again the day before I leave Leh.
I and Amar left to residency. 

Day 5, 20 12hrs: I first thought I should have the street local food, but I wasn't willing to risk with 5 more days of the trip behind.  I asked, in front of the manager, to Amar if I could have dinner and breakfast in Offbeat itself and I could pay them. Amar translated the same and asked how much I should pay. The manager reacted that I can have for free!! Amar told me to pay 500rs for him, I was like why not!! They had the home taste, spicy, unlimited variety of food.


Day 5, 21 11hrs: Reached Raybo hostel. I was hoping to have some conversations with the foreigners in my dorm. But I was too tired and sleepy. Also, I found all of them in the dorm were either sleeping or reading with the reading lamps on their beds on, and the room's lights were off, it was pin-drop silence. It had four double-decker beds and mine was at the top of the bed close to the door. So it was disturbing every time someone came in or went out. Otherwise, it was a cozy sleep.

Day 6, 07 11hrs: Left to offbeat residency to breakfast and join the team.
Our cab to the Endorheic lake that extends up to China, where skirmishes between the two countries are reported and viral in youtube, arrived.

Day 6, 08 57hrs: We started off all excited to stay that night at the place where the 3 idiots climax was shot......


.......