Skip to main content

Leh Ladakh_15th-27thSep'17 ~Ch6: Pangong Lake and Shey Monastry

The views were, like it had been throughout, revering but this time with a lot of variety.
     
Vivek sat in front beside the driver capturing as much as he could with his DSLR; I, alone, royally occupied the last row, while the others sat in the middle row of the Innova. The driver was slim, vibrant and active: he either drives or smokes. Even if we had to stop to leak, he managed to light and take few puffs in the little time he had. The other pleasant thing with this drive is that we could listen to songs while we sat back in awe of nature. The Keralites are fans of Tamil songs and there were Tamil songs played too, very much to my delight. One song we all enjoyed was "Shoot the Kuruvi" from JilJungJuk, I had fun explaining the lyrics to them what many Tamils don't even know there existed one for this song. Another interesting thing I noticed here in the north extreme part of India is that they enjoyed Tamil dubbed movies and songs; I saw people enjoying the Hindi versions of Anegan and another which I could not recollect now.
    
On seeing the monastery(last pic) we told ourselves that we must visit the place on our return. Amar assured that there will be time.

Day 6, 11 31hrs: Our first stop--world's second highest pass--Changla.
  
  
The poem of Rudyard Kipling's in the penultimate picture was a great match to the Indian Army's life. How much they are putting forward for the nation ahead of their personal lives to service and well being of our nation. If everyone in India has to look a direction and worship, it is North and Indian Army. They have to brave the weather, geography and the anti-elements; very true to what was written in the milestones in Karthung La: "Your adventure is our routine". No Army, No India.

There were a lot of off-roading but the driver did not seem to care. We were just in the beginning of the off-season and we could witness snow slowly taking over the landscapes. Avalanche is another common phenomenon we have to be aware and careful of. We were shocked to see few Army Vehicles which had slipped down the narrow roads into the valley.

Day 6, 12 33hrs: Next stop, a fresh delicious water lake.
 
The water was as tasty as it can be. Later in an hour, we stopped for lunch.
  
Day 6, 15 03hrs: Reached the mighty Pangong Lake. I was dumbstruck!! How could possibly a lake of this size can ever happen at such an altitude. Just find out the specs of this lake in Wiki. There was no way someone can capture all the mightiness of this lake in one frame and that's why I took the below video.
The 3-idiots climax was shot at this place and has clearly had its effects on this place. This place is sure to look like a carnival during its peak season. It was fun and amazing combined.
 

 
After a long photo session, I was starting to feel sick again. Ice-chill cold wanted me to sleep. It was a repeat of what happened in Sarchu and it was cold like never before in the trip. I hit the bed as soon as we arrived in our rooms. But felt better when someone woke me for dinner. The stay was astounding with great views of the lake and balcony and I occupied a single room alone.

The food was spicy, hot and variety. The service and hospitality of these people were top notch.
It was another chatting session after our dinner in the 3 idiots' room. This is when we actually came to know better about each other. Our history, career plans and a lot of our lives were shared and discussed. They all work in Dubai but different companies. It was astonishing to know that all three of them were of the same school and college and classmates!  All three love married to their classmates!!--a fact that goes against all my odds of my probability in the actual figures I have come across so far. Then my scopes, benefits, disadvantages, perks of having a French girlfriend were discussed. :D There was so much to know about Dubai and its magnificence. ( I  now wish and plan to do an internship in Dubai during my MBA). Jesel was proud in showing a card which he says is the passport and has all the information about him inside; bank accounts; licenses, visa, etc.and he could not enter Dubai without this. I was like this is what our gov. is trying to achieve in Aadhar Card right, but why our people are so resistive. Then as the gossips continued my tongue started to roll--symptoms of cold and sleep. One tight sleep that day.

Day 7, 07 03hrs: Woke up with a heavy headache and a lot of uneasiness. Could not have any breakfast just biscuits and bread in tea for the sake of filling something.
  
Briefly, on our return, we stopped for another photo shoot. But I did not join them, my health did not help, to only repent later for having missed after seeing their pics. Seriously these people got talents!
  
I was happy to sit along the shores of the lake and was joined by the driver who engaged in what he does always when he does not drive. He passed on the smoke to me. That look, that expression as if he has pulled out a Genie when I refused and said I never smoke and drink. Whereas he lives in smoke, I could see that he was little embarrassed and I quickly changed the topic to what I can do in the evening in Leh.
 
After wrapping up the Pangong Lake sessions, we started our return. The driver suddenly stopped the car, got down and walked towards a strange looking tiny animal--Marmots. There were a plenty of burrows and few visible Marmots on the outside were busy preparing for its hibernation. It was not afraid to come close to us. When I sat and extend my arms it came close, slapped my hand and ran back. Later I came to know that it was expecting some food from me as the travellers have given that habit. On seeing us, a tempo traveler stopped and many people got down. One large squirrel gave an alarm and the animals started to feel insecure. We asked the other people not to feed them and left the place.

Day 7, 13 13hrs: I slept the entire the entire journey until we reached the monastery we saw on our way yesterday and wanted to visit on our return.
The Chey monastery was, like any other, neatly built on top of a small hill. It was amusing to see the inside of the monastery.

We had good photo sessions inside and I am deliberately not sharing any pics taken inside of the temples, gods, and the buildings.
Day 7, 16 43hrs: Reached our residency and I took Sonu, who by then had completed servicing the bikes, to the market. On our way, I wanted to check in the Raybo hostel for my stay that night, but the lady who was looking after the hotel was not there and she had forgotten to communicate about my reservation today to the person looking after now. So I had another adventure in finding a room for that night. Then it was the market time. I tried all the shops in Leh to buy flags at a cost nobody was will to give me, but my gut feeling was telling me I will get it as I was buying 70 of them. It soon was true, when I thought was the last attempt, a lady was able to offer me flags with a design that no other shop had at a little higher cost than what I wanted but I liked it and it was really worth it. After shopping the things I had made a note on my previous visit, it was time for some street food. I enjoyed the icecream and falooda the most in that weather and time!!
  
The few youths who were sitting opposite to us in the ice cream shop were excited and playing with something. I asked them what and they showed me a fidget phone! (see the video) The influence of China. We then left to Offbeat residency to have my last meal in Leh before returning to my hotel for that night.
Day 7, 20 23hrs: I was surprised that they offered me the same room I had stayed earlier to stay that night at no cost! because I had to leave early morning tomorrow with Sonu to Manali. Amar had such rapport with these people who had a great service and hospitality. Certainly, there is a relation between the character of people and the geographic location. After bidding goodbye and farewell to the Malayalis--my blessing that I was able to make a trip--without whom I have to leave to Manali the next day early morning, I went to what was a satisfying last sleep in Leh.

If you think my fortunes and destiny can't get better, wait for the best adventurous life scaring part of the trip in the next chapter....
.......